Friday, March 30, 2012

Oh, I can't complain. Really.

INT. BREAK ROOM - DAY
ED is sitting in the break room by himself. He's enjoying some yogurt. JOE walks in and fixes himself a cup of coffee.
JOE
Hey man. What’s worse than small talk? Riddle me that.

ED
(Unenthusiastic)
I don’t know. Tell me. Please (under his breath).

JOE
Too much talky.

ED
You don’t say.

JOE
I do say. Some people just want to tell you their life story. But no one really cares. Sometimes I just want to say, “Shut the hell up and stop whining. Your life isn’t that bad and more importantly it’s not that significant.” No matter how good people have it, they still manage to find things to complain about.

ED
True. Well, do you ever tell them how you feel?

JOE
No.

ED
Well, I think you should. Because how else are they going to know?

JOE
You know what? You’re right…I should tell them. They should know.

Ed gets up, throws away his yogurt container, heads for the doorway, stops and turns around.

ED
Hey. What’s worse than hearing someone complain? Riddle me that.

JOE
Hmm. I don’t know. What?

ED
Hearing someone complain about people complaining.

Joe laughs and nods his head.

JOE
True, very true. It’s kind of ironic if you think about it.

Joe continues laughign. Ed smirks.

ED
Yeah. I’ll talk about you, I mean talk to you later.

Ed exits. Joe sips his coffee and looks at a newspaper.

JOE
People complaining about people complaining. Idiots.

(PAUSE)

JOE
Wait a second...Hey!

No comments:

Post a Comment