Friday, December 23, 2016

Parenting

Growing up I really didn't learn a whole lot from my parents--parenting wise. I wasn't focusing on what I could one day use as a parent myself, as far as skills and techniques. The only thing that did transfer is the old adage, "There are starving kids in China." So, the other night, when my daughter didn't want to eat her dinner, I told her, "Sweet Pea, there are starving kids in China." Apparently she felt pretty sympathetic toward the starving kids in China, because she ate her whole dinner. Score. I'm great at parenting.

Later that night my daughter didn't want to go to bed and this is the conversation that transpired.

DAUGHTER: I don't want to go to bed.

ME: You have to go to bed. 

DAUGHTER: Why?

ME: Because you'll be cranky tomorrow.

DAUGHTER: Why?

ME: Because you will have not slept.

DAUGHTER:Why?

ME: That's what we're trying to figure out right now...

(Pause)

DAUGHTER: Why?

ME: Look, there are tired kids in China. They're exhausted. Now go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment