Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The word "So"

So

There is a little bit of negativity surrounding the word, "So". Here are five different ways that "So" can be used.

1. So-and-so
2. So-So
3. So...(dot, dot, dot = awkward)
4. So called, blah, blah, blah (replace the blahs with appropriate words)
5. So good (but not really, sarcastic kind of "so")

Here is a scenario that exemplifies what I'm talking about.

1. Interior Comedy Club - Night

Life partners Steve & Robbie are sitting at a little lounge table enjoying Cosmopolitan cocktails. They just got done watching a comedian perform.

STEVE
What did you think of so-and-so?

ROBBIE
I think his name is Doug.

STEVE
Does it really matter?

ROBBIE
Haha. No. I guess not. He was...so-so.

A waiter approaches Steve and Robbie.

WAITER
How's everything?

STEVE & ROBBIE
Super.

WAITER
What did you guys think of Doug?

ROBBIE
He was so--

WAITER (Proud)
He's my brother.

ROBBIE
So good.

STEVE
So, so good.

WAITER
Really? Thanks guys. I'll let him know. Actually, I helped him write some of those jokes.

ROBBIE
You don't say. Well, you should just go right ahead and quit your day job.

WAITER
Haha.

ROBBIE & STEVE
Haha.

(PAUSE)

WAITER (Exuberant)
Really? You think I should? You do. Don't you? You know what, you're right. I should so quit. I'm going to quit right now!

The waiter rips off his apron and runs off.

WAITER
I quit!

STEVE
He so should have kept his job.

ROBBIE
So should have kept it. Now he can run off with his so-called comedian brother and get laughed at for not being so funny.

STEVE

Haha. Yeah. The funniest part of Doug's set was when he froze up and it got really quiet. Then he said, "So..."

ROBBIE
Yeah. That was awkward. I laughed so hard at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment