Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Let's Dance

Last week I was at my local Post Office. There was one postal worker, one customer at the counter being waited on, two more customers at tables preparing their mail, and me waiting in line. David Bowie's Modern Love was playing on the radio. I couldn't contain the rhythm inside me. So I started swaying back and forth. Then, I noticed the elderly lady at the counter. She was hopping and bopping. And I thought, "Wow, Gam Gam's got moves." So there we were, just dancing away the afternoon. It was a great feeling; one of the finest moments of my life. Then I looked around to see if anyone else was dancing. But, to my disappointment, everyone remained still. So naturally, I let my imagination carry us away. Soon, the Postal worker was swinging from the lights. The two people preparing their mail were break dancing on the tables. And Gam Gam, well, she found a pole. All of a sudden we were out on the sidewalk performing an intricate dance piece in perfect time and we sang in unison. Police officers, community service convicts, Jehovah's witnesses, protestors, a baker, a man dressed up like a pirate, and a donkey all chimed in. It was great. Even church bells knew the tune. It ended with me at the top of a pyramid which was constructed out of all of the participants in the musical number. Then I snapped out of it and realized I was still waiting in line. If only life could be a musical.

- Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment