Wednesday, August 24, 2011

More on that earthquake...

Two hours before the devil made sweet sweet love to Mother Nature and made her bed rock, I heard...a toot. That's right, I believe one of my co-workers (we'll call her Beatrice) farted while sitting in her swivel chair. I wasn't sure if anyone else heard the peculiar noise. So I just sat there waiting; waiting for someone to turn red with embarassment, or someone to say, "Heavens to Betsy. Pardon me", or at the very least, "Who just farted?" But no, there was nothing that followed this roaring rip...or so I thought.

I came up with a theory. I believe when my co-worker let one rip, she actually caused a mini tremor which later resulted in the bigger seismic event that the rest of the east coast felt. The technical term for such a fault is called a strike-slip. But in this case we'll call it slip-strike because first, she let one slip. Then came the stunning strike. So, what the east coast felt was merely an aftershock. But what I experienced in the office that day, well, that was in the very heart of the epicenter. A seismologist would say that the hypocenter, point of initial rupture, was oddly enough between an existing crack and the seat of a swivel chair. I'm still recovering from this horrific event.

This just in. A hurricane is coming our way. I thinks it's been named Irene. However, I think Beatrice is a better fit.

- Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment